Media Project ~ Yarn

Through this project, I gained a greater appreciation and value for creativity and imagination. Sometimes it is difficult to make sure all the pieces to the puzzle fit with a client and a homemade intervention. It needs to remain client-centered, however, depending on the object assigned, finding that “just right challenge” can pose quite the challenge for the therapist. With my client, Mr. Dennis, it was very difficult to pin point something that I thought he might actually enjoy doing. A lot of activities involving yarn, tend to be more suited for women. Then I finally thought of the idea to have a showcase of words related to gardening, one of his hobbies, and have him string yarn to matching terms. While performing this activity, he would be working on fine motor skills, having to scan both the left and right side of the board, and thinking of an activity he enjoys. 

This project has given me the opportunity to think outside of the box and really put on my OT cap. Moving forward, as a result of completing this project, I think I will be more innovative and creative in treatment plans through my practice. There is so much more value in an intervention that includes aspects and important items to the client. Improvement can be seen in many more ways than just physical, it can be evident emotionally and even spiritually by harnessing and embracing the values of your client.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Glyph on Leadership

Health and Wellness for All

Mimi's Journey